Wed, May 05|
The Project Gurus' Ultimate Guide for Beginners: Private Manuscript Reading & Feedback Session
A Live, Virtual, Interactive Behind-the-Scenes Event with Dawn Mahan
Time & Location
May 05, 2021, 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
About The Event
Hi, it's Dawn Mahan, Founder of PMOtraining.com. Want to get behind the scenes and help launch a book? I invite you to join me on this journey! Become a BOOK INSIDER VIP and join an amazing group of people who have already helped move this heavy book project up Publishing Mountain.
Register now for FREE to join us on Cinco de Mayo! We will definitely have some fun while we geek out. Bring your favorite holiday bevs and snacks!
WHERE IS THE BOOK ON THE JOURNEY RIGHT NOW?
I'm 80% up the mountain, but that last 20% is rough terrain! For years, I've been working on my book. I used to think, "why does it take people years to get a book published?" Well, now I know why!
WHY I NEED YOUR HELP. YOU are part of my plan to finally get this book published, because...
* Speaking and teaching is my happy place!
* I show up fully for people who want to learn and grow, but I won't always show up for an appointment I make with myself.
* I need to create a cadence to work through the final pass of the book in bite-sized pieces, just like I advise people to do for their projects.
* I want to make this the best practical guide it can be. YOUR FEEDBACK will make it a stronger resource and better experience for readers.
* Teamwork makes the dream work! Just by showing up, you will help me with the momentum, confidence and creativity required to finally get this labor of love done AND I will recognize you in the book (or you can be listed as Anonymous)!
WHO THIS EVENT IS FOR:
* Ambitious professionals - Formal project management experience is NOT required to attend (you are who this book is for!)
* Anyone who has ever worked on a project and wants to learn more about "projectland"
* Book lovers who want an inside peek at the book creation process
* PMPs who need FREE PDUs
* Professionals who enjoy offering candid, constructive and kind input to help strengthen the book
* Family, friends and colleagues who want to provide positive vibes
HOW IT WILL WORK:
I will be on Zoom prepared to serve whoever joins with me. Here's what we'll do:
* I'll share my latest book journey update
* I will read a portion of my book to you
* You will be invited to make live comments and edits to the manuscript in a secret Google doc (not required)
* Offer as much or as little feedback as you like - share what you like, what is confusing, which elements are your favorite, etc.
* We will keep track of attendance and YOU WILL BE ACKNOWLEDGED IN MY BOOK for showing up - the more times you show up and the more active you are in providing helpful comments and edits, the higher your name will be on the contributor list.
* I will ask for feedback on the session (what to do more of, less of, the same) to inform future sessions (should this prove to be a positive experiment)
* If you are a PMP, you can self-report PDUs for joining!
* I may make announcements to make sure that you know about other fun learning opportunities in Projectland
VIRTUAL SEATS ARE LIMITED! GET YOUR INSIDER VIP TICKET BELOW TODAY!
*** Select Endorsements From Fabulous First Readers ***
"This book is excellent! It is thoughtful but not intimidating. Typical academic-heavy books in this arena would not work with average employees or even a lot of higher-level managers. It is also brief enough that a new project manager could actually read it before the project was due to be finished! A hard target to hit and well done. If this book had been available in my last role as CFO/CIO, I would have bought a copy for everyone involved in IT and Finance projects and the training/coaching program to go with it."
~ Rick Gaynor – Former CFO for many public and private equity owned global companies
An absolute must read for every professional. The book was so engaging that I read it in a day.
~ Anne Wilms, Former Fortune 500 Chief Information Officer (CIO)
“Delightful, entertaining, easy to read and really kept my attention. Dawn definitely has a gift for transferring important ideas into written words that people can connect with.”
Founder & President, Quistem, LLC, Global Expert in the Automotive Industry
“Don’t let this book’s conversational approach fool you! There are numerous project management insights, leadership nuggets and teaming gems in this highly readable book. It is filled with many fun, interesting examples and anecdotes, sure to bring project management concepts home to both novice and experienced project managers alike. Dawn Mahan, with her very down-to-earth and engaging writing style, offers comprehensive coverage of project management basics, all presented in an entertaining yet informative way.”
- Jim Rommens, MS, MATS, BBA, PMP, CSM, CTFL
Project Manager, Graduate Adjunct Instructor in Project Management, Co-Author of The Expert Test Manager: Guide to the ISTQB Expert Level Certification
"Finally, an accessible book for the ill-prepared and under-supported accidental project managers, commonly thrown to the wolves and expected to come out winners. Sprinkled with fun and relevant pop culture references, clever analogies, and myriad personal stories culled from the author's popular training programs, this much-needed book is chock full of practical, immediately-usable advice on how to successfully bring projects to conclusion by seeing both the forest AND the trees. With tips that range from dealing with difficult stakeholders to avoiding common planning mishaps and employing a simple START-DO-DELIVER method, this aptly-named book will help project managers truly stress less while getting the important things right. This is an indispensable tool that should be on every project manager's desk, whether a seasoned project maven, who will benefit from its refreshing approach, or a complete newbie. It's the most fun you'll have learning how to manage projects better."
Jerry Manas, PMP
Author, Napoleon on Project Management: Timeless Lessons in Planning, Execution and Leadership, The Resource Management and Capacity Planning Handbook, and Managing the Gray Areas
What a delight to know that this book will be there to help project managers! In the chapter focused on Quality, I appreciated seeing key concepts that quality professionals will recognize. Hopefully this book, written with a passionate, light, yet descriptive tone, will be a catalyst for both project managers and quality professionals to work even better together to deliver projects 'on quality.'
~ Grace Duffy - President, Management and Performance Systems; Past Chair and Dean, South Carolina state technical college system; Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt; American Society for Quality (ASQ) Fellow; 2014 Quality Magazine Person of the Year; 2016 International Woman of Quality; Author of 13 texts on leadership, quality and organizational excellence
Given the pace of change and demand for results in today’s business environment, project management excellence is a real differentiator. Dawn has artfully captured the lessons learned from her hands-on experience and delivered a practical guide for driving successful projects. “Accomplish More. Stress Less.” is a must read for any serious project manager looking to move beyond the theory of project management and into the realm of real impact.
~ Michael Stubblefield, MBA - CEO, Avantor; Former Senior Expert, McKinsey & Company
Ms. Mahan cuts away the excess jargon and verbiage to convey the essentials of project management in a readable style which is accessible to every professional from the experienced PM to the beginning novice. Concise and to the point in applying the core tools and principles of project management, the reader flows with her lucid explanations and examples. The self-assessment format gives the reader the required cues to recap the key learning lessons. I wish I had this text 35 years ago when I began managing people managing projects.
Roger Korman, Ph.D., CEO, DMD Digital Health Connections Group
Get your ticket before they are all gone. Then, invite a friend or colleague to join us! It's going to be fun!